Image Map

Tuesday 4 February 2014

WIAW: Coconut porridge+blackberries and steak night



Im very excited about my first "What I ate Wednesday" post and being part of this bloggers social event every Wednesday :0)

The voyeur in me loves WIAW posts for food inspiration and celebrating healthy living. Reading other bloggers WIAW has really benefited my healthy eating goals and finally gives me a valid excuse to take pictures of everything I eat, which I've been doing for a while now anyway and Im sure people just think im weird. 

Even though its summer here I really fancied a bowl of oats, which is probably what I would be eating back home in the UK right now. Maybe my body still thinks its winter? Not sure how as its constantly sunburnt. 

I made coconut porridge with frozen blackberries and some Coco-Quench Milk I discovered last month, and am now obsessed with. Its a blend of rice milk and coconut water. I haven't seen this in the UK before but they should definitely introduce it if they haven't already because it has an intense coconut flavour but without the major calories from the tinned stuff I usually get. 

I mixed 35g rolled oats, 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of coco-quench with 1 tsp chia seeds. I stirred this for about 8 minutes as it was quite watery at first, but thickened nicely by the end. I stirred in some walnuts and frozen blackberries at the end. The mix was really nice and I enjoyed the tartness from the berries.






I had this with a pomegranate green tea in the new tetleys range. The blackberries melted nicely and reminded me of how Ben's mom made my oats with blackberry jam and honey. Think its a Nigel Slater recipe?

I spent the best part of the day in my p.j's (happens a lot) searching for jobs on the internet, having just moved here to Melbourne. So I had plenty of time to get to the gym for my Bodypump class, and some cardio afterwards.

When I got back from the gym I made a mega salad of avocado, grated carrot, peppers, spinach, mixed seeds and a drizzle of olive oil with a chia tea on the side.




The combination of spinach, avocado and seeds was amazing, one of my favourite go-to recipes when I get a mind blank, which usually happens after the gym...

Snacks included some carrots and hummus and dinner was steak and pan roasted courgettes and red peppers




I cant get enough of courgettes at the moment, they're so quick to cook and I wanted something that would cook as quick as my steak (which basically gets a couple of minutes in the griddle pan and then straight to my plate).


Late that evening we sat down to some more Breaking Bad, (because I cant get through a day without an episode) so I had one of my nutty chocolate protein brownies I made earlier in the week with some semi-frozen banana, greek yoghurt and a few dried blueberries on top. I then went back for an extra handful of walnuts, really craved them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment