Image Map

Thursday 6 February 2014

Maca Powder- The superhero of superfoods?

Like a lot of people I'm becoming more and more concious about my health, being keen to experiment with superfoods in smoothies, sprinkled on cereals, stirred in porridge, basically anything which packs a nutritional punch makes it onto my shopping list. 

But the range of superfoods on offer can be overwhelming and at first I found it difficult to pick which ones I thought would benefit my daily needs. The only way to know is to try it out. And it takes time to figure out which ones are working. 

So my daily go-to smoothie add-ins tend to be a combination of either protein powder, chia seeds, flaxseed and wheat germ. Added to this list is maca powder. I've been trying it for a month, and without realising it I think I've started to reap the benefits. 

The health benefits of maca:

  • Regulate hormone imbalance
  • Increase energy levels (high in B-Vitamins)
  • Increase libido
  • Rich in vitamins, minerals, essential amino acids and high in magnesium and calcium

Over the last month I've noticed I have more energy after the gym. Usually after 5 days straight I would be ready to lie down on the sofa and sink into a t.v coma, but these last few days I found myself giving the kitchen a spring clean, batch preparing healthy snacks, and just being more productive. 

I've also noticed that my PMS is not so severe. I realised last night that I haven't had any tense headaches this month, which I usually get before my period, and I haven't had any unexplainable mood swings. Good news for husband. Of course I still experienced the bloating but I've definitely seen an improvement in my stress levels and Im hoping its down to the benefits of maca, but it will take a few more trial months before I can be sure. 

Basically, anything which puts the PMS monster to sleep gets a thumbs up from me. Ive tried adding it to different bakes and it tends to work really well, giving them a slightly caramel flavour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment