Image Map

Sunday 2 February 2014

First aussie BBQ+super salads+beating the bloat

So I think its safe to say that we have finally settled into to our new lifestyle out here in Oz, having spent the best part of the day soaking up the sun, enjoying our first BBQ with our new housemates in our new home.



I don't think ive eaten this much since Christmas, mainly because I've been trying to get back into my usual routine having spent the best part of 3 months travelling around Asia. I feel much more at home preparing my own meals and getting back into the kitchen to bake. That said, today was the first real break from my two week sort of detox plan, which was basically just to eat clean and lean to shed those few pounds I picked up on my travels. Its going well so far, but I still have a way to go getting back into my gym routine, its amazing how quickly my body lost its shape not going to the gym these past few months. 


So, this BBQ was MEGA, we had lamb burgers, beef sausages, watermelon, feta and mint salad, home-made tzatziki and hummus, wholemeal pita's and an avocado and melon salad with a yoghurt-chilli dressing, this was the best! and prepared by my housemate so ill get the recipe and blog it soon. 

One of the things I noticed after the BBQ was that everyone seemed to gain an appetite again later that evening, but I seemed to still be digesting lunch. I think it must be down to having IBS because I always seem to fair better when I eat 5 or 6 smaller meals a day, and when I eat a huge meal it just takes ages to digest and I feel incredibly bloated all day. Which doesn't seem like such a big problem to some people but if you have IBS its really uncomfortable and annoying. I just didn't realise how much my normal eating pattern of smaller meals benefited me. 

So next time maybe ill space out my 3 helpings over the course of the afternoon, rather than shovelling in it all at once...lesson learned.

But I enjoyed the watermelon, mint and feta salad so much. It was so simple but effective, and good idea for a quick evening side salad. I didn't manage to get a picture as we all dived in straight away. But I really like how everyone uses fruit in their salads over here, its a good way to mix up your 5 a day.

So the next day I experimented with a Chicken, Grilled Peach and Feta salad....

This was good, and I really liked the zing from the peaches, a good summer recipe.

Chicken, Grilled Peach and Feta salad
Serves 2
Ingredients

300g Chicken Breast (I used pre-sliced but would work well with thigh or even a whole roasted chicken)
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves
Juice of half a lemon
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 ripe peach (quartered) 
Spray olive oil
50g feta
Half a red onion
handful of cherry tomatoes
mixed leaves 
Mint leaves to garnish

Dressing
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp agave nector

Marinade the chicken breast slices in the olive oil, lemon, chopped garlic and oregano, for at least 10 minutes. Meanwhile, toss the mixed leaves, tomatoes, feta and red onion in a bowl. 
Heat up a griddle pan and pan fry the chicken for about 8-10 minutes until slightly charred but cooked through. Put to one side. Spray the peach slices with oil and add to the griddle pan for about 5 minutes or until golden. 
Mix the peaches with the salad. To make the dressing, combine the oil, vinegar and honey and drizzle over the salad. Divide between two plates, top with sliced chicken and garnish with mint leaves. 
I think next time I might try roasting a whole chicken with the lemon, garlic and oregano, so I can get that nice crispy skin as a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment